You will no longer be able to download the patches using SmartUpdate..!
Which means you will no longer be facing any problems with logging into SmartUpdate either 🙂
SmartUpdate now works only in offline mode.
i.e It is similar to the bsu command line tool now.
Now that you do not have the ” Get Patches ” tab in Smart Update there is a new link ” Recommended Patch Advisor ” in the ” Patches & Updates ” tab ( in support site ) to get the list of recommended patches for your server.
Below are the steps to download a patches if you know the BUG number or patchID :
– Login to support site
– Click on ” Patches & Updates ” tab
– Now click on the ” Product or Family ( Advanced ) ” tab
– In the drop down menu for ” Product ” select ” Oracle Weblogic Server ”
– Select your Weblogic Version in the ” Release ” tab.
– Select your platform in the ” Platform ” tab.
– Now click on the ” + ” symbol to add a ” new search filter ”
– From the drop down menu that comes up select ” Description ” –> ” Contains ” –> ” < Enter BUG number> / < patch ID > ” to download the patch.
The patch that you download is usually a zip file which contains a <PatchID>.jar and a patch-catalog_xxxx.xml file.
You need to copy both the jar file and the patch-catalog_xxx.xml file to your ” cache_dir ” folder ( Eg : D:\bea1033\utils\bsu\cache_dir )
Note : If you already have a patch-catalog.xml file under cache_dir folder then rename it ( i.e take a backup )
Now rename the new patch-catalog_xxx.xml that you have downloaded to patch_catalog.xml
– Start SmartUpdate
– Your patch should be visible under ” Downloaded Patches ” panel.
– Now click on apply next to the patch and once the patch is applied you should be able to see it under ” Default ” tab.
– To remove a patch you just need to click on the ” remove ” button next to the patch.